Compared to most gift cards, the American Express gift card is not specific to a store. This is one of the top features that contribute to its popularity. Amex gift card is great to have because of its flexibility. This means you are making a good decision if you decide to gift a loved one an Amex gift card.
However, you should know that you need to activate an Amex gift card before you can use it to make purchases. Wondering how to do that? It’s a simple process that you can get done online or via your phone.
In this article, I will break down how to register and activate an American Express gift card. Let’s get started!
How To Register An Amex Gift Card
Follow the steps outlined below to register your Amex gift card.
- Visit the Amex registration page.
- Enter the 15-digit gift card number. This can be found on the front and back of your card.
- Enter the 4-digit security code. This is located on the back of your card.
- Click on the “Confirm” button.
You will be redirected to a page to set up your gift card and you are all done.
How To Activate Amex Gift Card
There are two major ways to activate your American Express gift card. You can either activate it online or on your phone.
How To Activate Amex Gift Card Online
- Visit this American Express gift card page.
- Type in the Amex gift card number in the required box.
- Input your 4-digit card identification code.
- It’s optional to enter your email address.
- Tap on the “Continue” button.
Once done, sms or email will be sent to confirm your Amex gift card has been activated. Your gift card is ready for use.
How To Activate Amex Gift Card On Phone
To activate via phone, locate a toll-free number that starts with 1-800 or 1-888 on your card. Dial the number and listen to the instructions. Follow the prompts for gift card activation. The gift card details you need include your gift card number, security code, and expiration date. Alternatively, click on digit 0 to speak to a customer representative.
Tips for Troubleshooting Issues That May Arise During Activation Process
- Verify you entered the right gift card information.
- Note that the activation process might take a while. Read the terms and conditions for any specified timeframe.
- Confirm your Amex gift card is not expired.
- Contact customer support if the other tips didn’t help.
Frequently Asked Questions About Activating Amex Gift Cards
1. Do American Express Gift Cards Have An Activation Fee?
No, an Amex gift card does not have an activation fee. The only fee attached to the American Express gift card is a purchase fee.
2. Do I Need To Activate Amex Gift Card?
Amex gift cards purchased online don’t require activation. However, you need to activate Amex gift cards purchased at the store.
3. Why Is My Amex Gift Card Not Working?
Your Amex gift card may not be working because of insufficient funds or you are trying to redeem an already redeemed gift card.
4. How To Use Amex Gift Card Online
You can use your Amex gift card to shop online. Enter the gift card details like card number, PIN, and expiration date at checkout.
5. Can I Use Amex Gift Card On Paypal?
Yes, you can link your Amex gift card to your PayPal account.
6. Can I Turn Amex Gift Card To Cash?
Amex gift card is essentially designed as a payment method. However, gift card trading platforms like Nosh in Nigeria make it easy to convert your Amex gift card to cash. To get started, download the Nosh app and sign up.
To use your Amex gift cards purchased at the store, an activation is important. With the steps covered in this guide, it’s easy peasy and can be done in a few minutes. After activating your gift card, you can use it to shop on any platform that accepts Amex gift cards as a payment option.